Application & Interview Tips
Our recruitment process is simple and straightforward. It’s also quite competitive. So we thought we’d provide some helpful advice on how to do your best – and really stand out.
Before you begin your application, take a moment to consider your strengths. What are the qualities you have that will make us want to hire you? Whatever they are, make sure they’re clearly spelled out in your application.
Along with thinking about your strengths, take some time to look at your work experience. What are the different roles you’ve done in the past, and what skills and knowledge have you gained as a result? How could you apply those skills and knowledge at Lidl?
Once you’ve completed your application, make sure to proofread it before submitting. Spelling errors and grammatical mistakes won’t look great on your application, especially if you’re applying for a job that requires attention to detail.
Before you can join, you’ll need to attend two interviews.
During the first we’ll ask you about your skills and experience, and assess how well they match the job you’re applying for. We may also ask you some role playing questions to see how you would handle certain situations you’d experience on the job. If you are applying for a Graduate role, you're first interview will likely be a group interview and you will be advised of this in advance.
If the first one goes well, we’ll ask you in for a second interview. During this interview we’ll be keen to learn more about you, how you like to work, and what your motivations and aspirations are. If you’re applying for an in-store position, you may also have a short work trial during which you’ll carry out some of the day-to-day tasks of the role.
How to prepare
Now that you know how our interviews work, it’s time to find out how you can make them work for you. Remember, an interview is a two-way process. It’s an opportunity for you to learn about us and for us to learn about you.
To ensure you get the most out of the experience, we’ve come up with some useful tips that’ll help you prepare – and give you that extra bit of confidence on the day.
- Re-read the job advert and job profile on our website. Think about how you meet the key competencies we’re looking for and any specific examples where you’ve displayed these qualities.
- Know your CV. We’ll ask you questions about your CV so make sure you refresh your memory before the interview.
- Think about your key skills and strengths. Being confident about what you have to offer will help you to relax and perform well during the interview.
- Visit one of our stores. Have a look around, look at what our staff do and think about what it would be like to work for us. Consider the things you might enjoy and the challenges you might face.
- Research us. Don’t just tell us facts about our business. We want to hear what you find interesting or surprising or impressive about us. We want to know why you’d be good for the job and work well in our team. The careers section of our UK site (www.lidl.co.uk) is the best place to start.
- Prepare a list of questions. Use the interview to assess if the role is right for you. Think about your aspirations, motivations and future career plans. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about any aspect of the role you think is unclear or have concerns about.
- Bring notes. Feel free to bring notes with key points or specific work examples you wish to mention. Having them written down may put your mind at ease and allow you to focus and enjoy the interview.