Area Manager - Earn up to £70,000* and great benefits including a fully-expensed company car
At Lidl we’re opening 40-50 new stores every year and we need leaders who can help drive our success. Making sure a group of our stores operates efficiently and generates maximum turnover is a big responsibility so we’re looking for up-for it, ahead-of-the-game, do-it-better retail professionals to join our team.
Whether you’re a professional graduate with management experience or have built a long-term career in retail, you’ll need to be up for the challenge because you won’t be able to do this job standing on your head. Your knowledge, fresh-thinking and passion for people management will be crucial to success in our keep-it-simple, fast-growing, retail-changing business. You’ll not only get the autonomy you need to achieve results but the support to take the next step in your career and inspire everyone in your teams to be high achievers. If you’ve got what it takes to challenge the norm and the pace to lead market trends, you’ll get all the benefits that come from sharing in our growth.
What will you need?
We are looking for professional graduates who have developed a strong management style in their current role and are now looking for their next career challenge.
- Degree educated with a few years of full time work experience since graduation in a personnel management role with direct reports.
- An inspirational leadership style and the ability to create a stable work environment and motivate your team to complete their daily tasks and go the extra mile for customers.
- Strong commercial acumen, a keen eye for financial results, the ability to analyse and interpret KPIs and identify potential risks and opportunities.
- The ability to help your team develop and achieve their personal career goals through delegation, empowerment and coaching.
- A strategic and long-term approach to your work, the ability to develop an ambitious but realistic business plan and translate it into clear, day-to-day objectives.
- Excellent people skills, always communicating with clarity and honesty and recognising when to adapt your style for different people including customers, colleagues and suppliers.
- The ability to develop a clear understanding of the organisation’s structure and to work well within set policies and procedures, and use them to get things done effectively.
- An awareness of your own strengths and limitations, a desire to pursue career development opportunities and to keep learning.
What will you do?
- Develop, coach and inspire your team of Store Managers to fulfil their potential and ensure the stores are running smoothly and efficiently
- Lead by example and encourage your store teams to always be the best they can be
- Manage all key cost control areas with your stores and provide direction to your management team to enable them to meet their KPI targets
- Problem solve on the spot and use your initiative to ensure high standards of cleanliness, freshness, stock availability and customer service throughout your stores
- Drive sales and increase turnover in stores by making full use of promotional tools
- Maximise your own KPI targets to ensure deadlines and agreed standards are achieved
- Provide HR management in all of your stores following company guidelines and procedures
- Identify personnel requirements through succession planning and develop high potential employees
- Strive to create, retain and develop a strong and motivated management team
- Recruit new employees and manage their expectations/training, as well as that of existing employees
Where will you be based?
Due to the nature of our growth in the UK we have opportunities nationwide so we can offer you a cluster of stores suitable to your location.
What do we offer? (rewards, training & development, career progression)
• £42,631 with the potential to earn up to £70,000*
• Fully expensed company car including personal fuel
• 35 days’ holiday per annum (including Bank Holidays)
• Private medical insurance
• A contributory pension scheme
• 10% discount on all Lidl products, in all stores throughout the UK
• Access to corporate discounts on a range of products and services (including holidays, home and garden products, leisure activities and more)
• Initial training and on-going development from an experienced team member
• Excellent long-term career prospects
*Subject to experience and inclusive of 10% London Weighting (non contractual) for employees working within the M25
Training & Development
We are committed to your training and on-going development from day 1. So, on your first day you will attend a Welcome Event in your local Regional Distribution Centre (RDC) where you will get an introduction to the company, our values and culture, and meet the Senior Management team. You will have a tour around the RDC, meeting some of your colleagues in other departments so when you start your training you will recognise the importance of your role in the wider business context and have the confidence to hit the ground running and understand our expectations.
Right from the start we’ll have you shadow an experienced Area Manager, learning first-hand what it means to be responsible for up to five stores and 100 people, letting you see just how important an Area Manager’s in-store teams are to the success of their area as a whole.
We want you to become one of our future leaders. Before you can do that though, you need to know what each member of our team does. So we’ll train you on all of our sales jobs, and you'll learn what being a Customer Assistant, Assistant Store Manager and Store Manager involves. You will also learn about our store operations, customers and products.
At this point you’ll then be ready to manage your own store for a short time, gaining great hands-on experience. Once complete, you’ll then spend time at one of our Regional Distribution Centres. Here you’ll see what it’s like at our behind-the-scenes departments and all the work they do to help our stores run smoothly.
You’ll then continue your Area Management training, shadowing another member of the team and delving deeper into the role. Once ready, you’ll put your skills and knowledge to the test by providing holiday cover for other Area Managers – keeping their stores ticking along while they’re away.
At that point, your training programme will be complete and you’ll be given your own area to run and develop.
Our success is dependent on building strong, knowledgeable teams and experts. Not to mention growing business leaders of the future. Along with preparing you to be an Area Manager, this training programme may give you the opportunity to work on various projects and provide a great platform for developing across a number of departments. As part of a business that spans 26 countries, you could also find yourself enjoying global opportunities as well. This is a fast-paced role that will challenge you every step of the way. But considering the rewarding career that’ll open up for you, it’ll be well worth it. Because what we do is not just any job – we make Lidl possible.